Pages

Wednesday 18 December 2013

The Beauty of Overalls

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Scrolling through my dad's Facebook, I came across this profound quote and it got me thinking about the young people of my generation.

A few weeks ago I obtained my BA degree in  Communications (Media) Magna Cum Laude. I often relive the moment my name was called and the title of my thesis read out to the cheering audience; the experience was ethereal! All my hard work had boiled down to those few seconds on stage.

So I have a degree, now what? I can't exactly walk around with the thing stapled to my back. So how are my future employers gonna know that I have a degree (apart from me putting it on my blog)? How will every single unemployed degree holder make his or her mark?

This is where Thomas Edison comes in.  Remember all those sleepless nights you spent doing assignments? Studying for tests, exams? Preparing presentations? Well be ready to work harder to make an impression. In the beginning it might seem like an exercise in futility, but your hard work will open doors of opportunity like you wouldn't believe.

This, for me, happened two days after my graduation. My sister asked me to help her with her social media campaign at the 17th bi-annual International Conference on AIDS and STIs in Africa (ICASA). What started out as me tweeting for her ended up with me having to edit a couple of videos because of a shortage of media staff.

I didn't get paid nor did I get a job BUT I made my mark.  Thanks to hard work and determination the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) knows who I am and they know what I am capable of.  So I'll proudly pull on my overalls and hold my head high because I embrace opportunity.

3 comments:

  1. What do we say about those who just seem to walk into jobs after college - Is it wrong to aspire to something like that? (I'm just Playing Devils Advocate)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a valid point but I have to say gone are the days when employers used to line up outside the graduation hall and handpick graduates. The stakes are much higher now and even in aspiring to walk into jobs, hard work is needed.

      Delete